A blog originally for keeping track of my hobby of being a Beekeeper which has evolved to include Home Brewing and even more recently to follow me and my families approach to "The Good Life". Eventually I hope to include baking recipes and stories of our flock of chickens also reporting on the success and failure at the allotments.

Monday 5 May 2014

Cider!

Last year I aquired a huge batch of apples and made cider. Below are the photos I took of the process


This is the original batch of apples collected while walking on common 


apples a bit of a clean in cold water

Me grating up 25kg of apples in a food processor, a sticky job!



The grated apple put into the press and starting to squeeze out the juice


Pulp

Juice!

All setup

The first dry apple cake. These were returned to my friend to feed to his pigs

4 Gallons of juice

The dried cake after pressing

More pig food

No yeast, water or sugar added, just let the natural yeast do their thing!

Monitoring the gravity to see when ready

Fermenting nicely!

After it had fermented away it was all bottled and is now in storage while it ages. I have drank a few bottles of it and although Steph isn't a fan I am quite enjoying it. Credit to Steph though as she did help me a lot with the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment