A blog originally for keeping track of my hobby of being a Beekeeper which has evolved to include Home Brewing and even more recently to follow me and my families approach to "The Good Life". Eventually I hope to include baking recipes and stories of our flock of chickens also reporting on the success and failure at the allotments.

Wednesday 31 July 2013

Honey Extraction

In the last post I did me and Steph collected several frames of honey for extraction. I was at work the next day and on my break I called the guy who rents out the extractor for our local association. Unfortunately I was not successful in getting through to him so had a bit of a panic; lots of honey in the comb and no way of extracting it! I had a brainwave to call my friend who supplied me with my current Bees and see if he had an extractor I could borrow. I was in luck, not only did he have one, the one he had was excellent! When I have bottled up all my current wines I have on the go at the moment I will have to give him a couple of bottles to say thanks.

The first step was to take the cappings off the honey comb. This was simply done with a sharp knife and a steady hand. Once that was done the frames were put in the extractor then all that was required was to spin it to get the honey out. This is a manual extractor but required minimal effort to get to speed. The next videos show my daughter managing to turn the handle and extract some honey!




No comments:

Post a Comment