A blog originally for keeping track of my hobby of being a Beekeeper which has evolved to include Home Brewing and even more recently to follow me and my families approach to "The Good Life". Eventually I hope to include baking recipes and stories of our flock of chickens also reporting on the success and failure at the allotments.

Thursday 25 October 2012

White Wine

I have recently deviated from my usual deviation of making wine from anything but fruit by making a batch with green grapes to make a traditional white wine! I didn't follow a recipe as such and just "winged it". The grapes were acquired from an abandoned allotment near my fathers. Here is a rough idea of what I used.


  • 1.5(ish)kg of grapes
  • 1.5(ish)kg sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of yeast
  • 1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient
  • 1 teaspoon of pectolase
  • 1 tablespoon of citric acid
  • Enough water to make upto a gallon
My method was as usual from making from frozen fruit. I put the clump of frozen grapes in a bowl with the sugar and covered in boiling water. Then when the water was cool enough to out my hand in I added all the other ingredients and covered for a few days. I then strained it all through a muslin square and put in a demijohn. It is now happily bubbling away. I have no idea how nice this will taste but at the moment it smells like white wine so I must have something right!

Once I'd finished this wine I made another batch of elderberry wine but as there is no difference in then recipe and method I've already used then I won't repeat it.


White Wine!
Green Grapes

White Wine!
A few days of fermenting and a little squeeze to release some juice

White Wine!
Getting ready to put in a demijohn!

No comments:

Post a Comment