A blog originally for keeping track of my hobby of being a Beekeeper which has evolved to include Home Brewing and even more recently to follow me and my families approach to "The Good Life". Eventually I hope to include baking recipes and stories of our flock of chickens also reporting on the success and failure at the allotments.

Thursday 9 February 2012

Beeswax

Having a bit of time to spare in the last few days I decided to try my hand at making some blocks of Beeswax using a mould that my fiancée bought me for Christmas. The wax I used isn't from my Bees but from some unused wax foundation I acquired from one of my sisters work colleagues, who sadly had to quit Beekeeping due to an allergy. The wax foundation had been kept in the garage so had turned hard and brittle. I melted it down several months ago and put it in a container for storage.  


The wax block in the plastic container in a pan of simmering water; after a while the wax had melted.

I then carefully poured the wax into the mould then left it to cool and set
Once the wax was fully set I banged the mould hard and out popped the 5 blocks of Beeswax.


I then repeated the process to make a total of 10 blocks!




From here I'm not sure what to do with them; I could make candles or try to make soap and other cosmetics. There is also the option of sending it back to the people that make wax foundation and they will swap it back into foundation to be used again in the hive. Whatever I do with it I had fun making the blocks and they will store well in their current form. I'm hoping that sometime later in the year I will be able to make some blocks out of my own Beeswax.

No comments:

Post a Comment